The use of digital signatures is fast gaining ground around the world. Governments, academic institutions, organizations and businesses are using digital signatures whenever posting or sending documents online. Simply put, a digital signature is a form of electronic signature that assures a receiver of an electronic document that the message contained therein is indeed the message delivered by the indicated sender. In this respect, a digital signature authenticates a digital message and the sender can therefore not claim not to have sent such a message.
Digital signatures are similar to traditional hand-written signatures with one exception. While hand-written signatures can easily be forged, digital signatures employ asymmetric cryptography and therefore difficult to forge. Use of digital signatures when transmitting data or documents through non-secure channels can be very valuable in combating forgery and misrepresentation of digital information.
Advantages and Benefits
- Authentication – CBM Digital Signature systems are valuable tools in authenticating both the origin and messages sent digitally, especially through non-secure digital media. This is one reason why many financial institutions have embraced use of the systems.
- Integrity – Use of CBM Digital Signatures gives both message senders and recipients the confidence of knowing that a message sent and received has not been in any way tampered with or altered. This is because any change to the document made after a digital signature is used automatically invalidates the signature, which informs a recipient that the message has been tampered with and therefore cannot be relied on.
- Non-repudiation – Digital signature systems are widely used in sealing contracts. This is mainly because the system’s non-repudiation nature. This simply implies that a sender of a message cannot deny that he/she is the source of the message and having digitally signed the same.
- Elimination of forgery – Use of digital signature systems has gone a long way in combating forgery incidents especially by financial institutions and entities involved in crafting contracts.
- Ease of signing documents – Use of digital signature systems has become very valuable considering the fact that digital documentation is quickly approaching outnumbering paper-based. Digital signatures are simple and anyone can sign a digital document regardless of his/her location so long as there is access to a PC, Laptop, Tablet or any digital device.
- Reduced operational costs – Use of digital signature systems lead to reduced operational costs. This is simply because it eliminates the cost of paper which can be very high. Governments, organizations and companies that have embraced the systems have been able to realize significant savings.
Whether it’s a human resources implementation or package delivery, CBM Archives has the Digital Signatures solution for you to eliminate physical document storage, process, and validate signatures.